Shab-e Yaldā Chicken Wraps
Sticky pomegranate chicken wraps
For the chicken
- 8 free-range chicken thighs (skin-on, bone-in)
- 1 large red onion (finely sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Juice of half an orange
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
For the Moosir Mayo
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 to 7 discs of dried moosir (rehydrate, mince and add to mayo as per note above). Alternatively 2 garlic cloves (pour boiling water over them and leave for 5 minutes before mincing and adding to mayo)
- 8 large tortilla wraps
- Crunchy lettuce (Romaine or iceberg - shredded)
- Torshi Soorati or other pickle of your choice
- Fresh coriander, mint and parsley (chopped) and pomegranate seeds (for garnish and sprinkling in the wraps)
Put the chicken, onion, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, pomegranate molasses, tomato purée, sriracha, maple syrup, orange juice, seasoning and olive oil in a mixing bowl and mix to coat evenly. Cover, place in the fridge and let it marinate for a minimum of 4 hours (preferably overnight). About 1 hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge and set aside to rise to room temperature.
Place the mayonnaise in a bowl and add your minced moosir or garlic (see notes above) and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
Transfer the chicken and its marinade to a shallow roasting tin, then roast for 40-45 minutes, until the chicken and onions have caramelised and are sticky. Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
About 5 minutes before removing your chicken from the oven, take your tortillas, wrap them in foil and place them in the oven to heat for about 15 mins. Then remove them from the oven and turn off the heat.
Scatter the chicken with the fresh mint and pomegranate seeds.
Build a wrap by spreading the moosir mayo on it, adding shredded lettuce, layering with sliced chicken (removed from the bone) and caramelised onions, topping with Torshi Soorati or other pickle, the chopped fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds. Roll up the wrap and tuck in.