A simple one-pan spinach and egg breakfast dish. Garlicky and nutrient dense, serve this delicious dish with your favourite type of bread and Greek yoghurt.
What is Nargessi?
Nargessi is a Persian spinach and egg dish usually eaten for breakfast. Onion is cooked in a pan with olive oil and flavoured with garlic and turmeric before adding the spinach. Eggs are then cracked into the spinach mixture and cooked to preference.
Nargessi gets its name from the narcissus flower. The egg white and yolk representing the petals and the corona of the flower. I love this dish and frequently make it on weekends because it is so easy to make and turns a fried egg into something a little more special.
I use fresh spinach, but you can also use frozen spinach. Just sauté it for longer to cook off the water. If you want a spicier version, then add some dried chilli flakes or Aleppo pepper at step 3 below.
How to Serve Nargessi
Serve with your favourite type of bread. I usually serve it with buttered sourdough toast or Persian Flat bread (Noon-e Barbari) or Turkish Simit (as pictured), with a side of roasted tomatoes and / or a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Once the Nargessi has cooled down, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a pan with a lid on top or in an appropriate dish in the microwave.
Other Egg Recipes
Check out our other egg recipes on this and other sites…
- Omelette Gojeh Farangi – Persian Tomato Omelette
- Panir Bereshteh – Persian Scrambled Eggs with Feta & Dill
- Menemen (Turkish Scrambled Eggs and Tomatoes) (simplyrecipes.com)
- Persian Eggs Recipe (Borani Esfenaj with Poached Eggs and Aleppo Butter) | Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 150 g baby leaf spinach (washed)
- 4 large free range eggs
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Add turmeric, followed by garlic and stir.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season spinach mixture with salt and pepper.
- Make 4 holes in the spinach mixture and crack eggs into them. Cover with a lid and cook eggs for 5 to 8 minutes for a runny yolk. If you prefer a harder yolk, cook for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Season eggs. Turn off heat. Serve with bread, roasted tomatoes and / or Greek yoghurt.