A while ago I ate an incredible Middle Eastern inspired salad bowl from Grain Kitchen – a lunchtime salad bar based in London, E1. They had a number of different themed salad bowl options such as the California Bowl or the Mediterranean Bowl but obvs I chose the Middle Eastern bowl!
Part of the salad offering was a charred red cabbage wedge with a cashew and carrot dressing. I fell in love with the vibrant color and taste of this component and set about trying to recreate it in my own home. And after a few goes the recipe below is the one I am happy to share with you. This dish is very versatile, not complicated to make and will really brighten up your plate. The dressing recipe yields a fair bit, we usually use all of it but if any remains just drizzle over a green salad – it will last up to a week if kept in the fridge.
You can eat this dish as part of a mezze-style offering…
Or you can make your own little salad bowl…
You can even eat it as an accompaniment with a pie and chips..
Roasted Red Cabbage with an Orange and Cashew Dressing
Cashew and Orange Dressing
- 75 g raw cashew nuts (soaked overnight)
- 100 ml orange juice
- 1 large carrot
- 50 ml olive oil
- 50 ml water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Roasted Red Cabbage
- 1 whole red cabbage (c. 1kg)
- Olive oil (to drizzle over cabbage before roasting)
- Finely chopped fresh parlsey (to garnish)
- Prepare the dressing by putting all the ingredients in a blender (if you have a nutribullet then blitz in that as it blends the almonds to a smoother consistency). Blitz until smooth. Pour into a container, cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Cut red cabbage into eighths so you have wedges. Then place in a saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil over a high heat. Cook until tender approx 8 minutes in boiling water.
- While the cabbage is cooking, preheat oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / gas 6.
- When the cabbage is tender, remove from heat and drain water from saucepan. Drizzle the cabbage with olive oil until all the wedges are lightly coated. Place the wedges on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast for approx 20 mins until slightly charred on edges.
- Remove the cabbage from the oven, plate up, drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle the finely chopped parsley. Can be eaten hot, warm or cold.